Popular Posts

Monday, January 9, 2012

Okie- Centric

I like living in Oklahoma, I really do.  It definitely has a certain charm to it-- the kind that makes a bona fide city girl like me- want to go out and purchase black leather cowgirl boots.

I also think the heartland is beautiful, and in addition, the majority of the people I have encountered have been friendly and kind.  All of the positive things I have ever said about Oklahoma, I have meant with 100% sincerity.

However, I can't help but feel amused... confused sometimes when I witness things that I am simply not accustomed to seeing... I can't help it; I just don't get it.  I am a stranger in a strange land.

The longer I stay here-- the less of an outsider I will become, and the more likely, these odd observances will become commonplace.  So, I thought I would share some of my observances "as an outsider" while I still can.  Before I, myself, start wearing orange Oklahoma collegiate apparel and accessories, with overalls, cruising around Walmart in an electric scooter.


Odd Observance #1-What is with the excessive amount of electric scooters?


I have never in all my life seen so many of them while grocery shopping.  I don't think I ever saw one once in my 8 years living in Hollywood.  Maybe it's the midwest- maybe it's because I live out in the country, maybe it's Oklahoma.  I don't know.  But ever since I moved here, I pretty much expect to see about five on every grocery run. And, to tell you the truth I am a bit afraid of the people on them, because they can be aggressive!  Once at Sam's club I was practically run over twice by little old ladies on them.


Odd Observance #2- What's with all the ugly sandals?
People I meet freely admit that 'the fashion' here, isn't exactly pervasive. That's fine; I'm all about dressing comfortably.  However- one thing I have zero tolerance for are hideous shoes.  This is just my opinion on fashion, as a former fashion designer, but feel free to disagree!  It's one of the first things I noticed when I moved here, ugly sandals everywhere.  I hail from the land of flip flops, not orthopedic velcro; so I just don't get it.  But to each his own!



Odd Observance #3- What's with all the Oklahoma football merchandise?


I feel like I'm bombarded with OU and OSU football memorabilia everywhere I turn.  Even in LA where people love their USC, and Lakers, you only saw sports colors at the sporting event, or maybe on a big game day.  Now that I live here, I see football merchandise virtually everywhere.  (Admittedly, I'm not a sports fan; I didn't grow up that way. When Dad's were taking their kids to a baseball game, my Dad was taking us to a Modern Art Museum. So I just don't get the sports craze at all.)  So you can imagine my surprise when I moved to a state where people are not only fanatical about their football teams, but love to show their college pride, and frequently don collegiate shirts, jackets, hats, bags, and watches to non sporting events, and perhaps the occasional fancy dinner. To my Oklahoma football loving friends: I love you.  I just don't have to love all of your rhinestone-bedazzled-collegiate accessories.

1 comment: