Popular Posts

Monday, January 30, 2012

Reasons to LOVE Living in Oklahoma

I'm not gonna lie, I feel like I lost some of you, (dear readers), upon my last post about Oklahoma being a bit of a culture shock, for me, and why.  So I'm here to (shamelessly) attempt to win some of you back.  I've been working on this list since I moved here, and will continue to add to it.  There is a lot of GOOD here in Oklahoma.  Despite said culture shock, I know in my heart of hearts that living here is a good thing.  I see 95% of my family daily, and I am meeting really fantastic, inspiring people.  Life is simpler.  And living a life with less stress, and enjoying the simple things is what the "good life" should be all about right?  Right!  So, here are my reasons why I LOVE living in Oklahoma:

1.  Cocktail drinks are much cheaper here!

And 'hurray!' for that!  Obviously it does depend on where you go.  If it's a super fancy-shmancy place, expect L.A. prices.  However, if you choose to go to a cool location such as the Crystal Pistol Saloon in downtown Tulsa, consider yourself silly-drunk by the time you rack up a $20 tab. (Especially if you are a light-weight like me!) $2 Pabst, $5 well cocktails, and $6 shots.  Are you kidding me?  My wallet is thanking you. (My liver, not so much).  Fun times ahead-Let's do this.


2.  There is hardly any traffic!

 It's like having a Jewish holiday, every day! (Los Angelenos, and New Yorkers, you know what I'm talking about!)  It's soooo nice, to hop on the highway and speed along to where you need to go in no time!  I do not miss inane LA traffic... staring at the bumper in front of me for 45 minutes while creeping along at 10 miles per hour... hating life, and every car around me. "Whoo-hoo!" and "Hallelujah!" for less traffic in my life!


 3. Rockstar parking!

 In LA, I could spend 20-30 minutes circling my destination like a desperate hawk just to find one lousy parking spot.  Not fun.  The stress, and the unpleasantness of it all, often put me in a grumpy mood, wondering why I bothered to leave the house in the first place.  Here in OK, I rarely have to circle more than once, and more often than not, find a perfect, "rockstar" parking spot, waiting just for me, directly in front of my desired location.  Yes!  I could get used to this!



4. The rumors are true; people ARE nice here!

There is an overall politeness and friendliness from the majority of people that I've encountered in Tulsa, that you just don't get in an overcrowded, cosmopolitan city.   I first noticed this while at the Tulsa airport.  Having traveled quite a bit in my former life, I was pleasantly surprised at how my fellow travelers were politely moving aside to let me pass.  Quite a refreshing experience, versus being knocked over by huge bags, and impatient people.  In addition, I feel like people are nicer everywhere.  At the grocery store, instead of dirty looks, people smile and apologize if their cart accidentally bumps into yours.  While shopping I find myself chatting up strangers, like old friends.  And speaking of friends, I've gotta hand it to the people I have met so far; they have been kind, and welcoming.  For someone who has had to start over, with zero friends, in a brand new city- this is huge, and something I personally, will always appreciate.


 5.  It's gorgeous here

 Honestly, not a day goes by that I don't take a good look around and wish that I had a camera to capture it.  I am in constant awe of how much greenery there is, and how many wild animals I frequently spot.  Where I live,  deer sometimes bolt past my window, and birds are everywhere.   I love seeing the red cardinal birds perch on the trees in our back yard- their bright red feathers contrasting against a grey, winter sky.  In the spring, I have watched a family of ducks cross the street, and wild bunny rabbits hop about on our side lawn.  As a person who loves nature, I have to say- Tulsa is very pretty.  There are tons of trees, and it's been such a joy to experience "the seasons".


 6. Grassroots organizations are needed, and make a big impact here

 There are endless opportunities to contribute to the Tulsa community, in ways that not only make an impact, but are also needed.  People (like myself) that want to make a difference, or be part of a positive change, certainly can.  And because we're smaller, it's easier to communicate, rally the troops (so to speak) and make it happen.  It could be anything from organizing a parade, to starting a new night at a local bar.  If it can be imagined, it can be done. And I love that instead of relying on someone else to carve that path for you-- there is SO much opportunity for a person to carve that niche or path themselves!  On a personal level, I feel an obligation to the community already, to contribute my skills, talents, and passions.  (As small or as insignificant as those talents may be!) I know that they will be appreciated,  so I intend to do just that.

No comments:

Post a Comment