Popular Posts

Saturday, December 17, 2011

"The Road Not Taken": What I Learned in 2011

As many of you know, this has been a year of many significant changes in my life: a change in career, a huge change in location, a change in my relationships, not to mention a change in lifestyle.  Some changes were beyond my control, but most if not all, were fully maneuvered by my reins.  And I'm glad I did it too.  It's just what I needed to snap me out of my complacency.  But, I'd be lying if I said the adjustment has been easy-- because it hasn't been.  There have been many tears, and lots of heart-ache this year.  But that's okay.  I purposely chose the "Road Not Taken".  As Robert Frost, so eloquently wrote:

"I took the one less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference."

That being said, before I say "so-long" to my year of significant changes, I thought I might share some of the more personal life lessons I learned this year:
  • I learned that sometimes being laid-off is a blessing in disguise.
    • I learned to trust in and listen to my intuitive inner voice; it's has a very high accuracy rate.
    • I learned to be honest with myself, and acknowledge when a relationship has run it's course, even if it hurts.
    • I learned that if I don't like something about my life, it's up to me to change it; if I am afraid-- embrace the fear and do it anyway.
    • I learned that if I am brand new in town, without any friends, the best thing to do is bravely head into town by myself, and make some new ones.
    • I learned that having a sense of humor is crucial; it can get me through anything.
    • I learned that this self-described "City girl" can survive out in the country too.
    • I learned that true friendships can withstand, many miles apart.
    • I learned that the fastest way out of a self-inflicted pity-party is to count my blessings.
    • I learned that living in isolation, in the country is the perfect thing for a girl who is easily distracted and could use some self-reflection.
      • I learned that I am incredibly lucky to have a family as quirky, yet unconditionally loving and supportive as mine is.
      • I learned that volunteering makes me a better person: more grateful, more compassionate and less selfish.
      • I learned that living in the country has it's perks: I get to experience the seasons and it's absolutely gorgeous in the spring and fall.
      • I learned that if I sleep in a bed with two dogs and a cat every night, it's virtually impossible to be lonely. 
        • I learned that if I speak from my heart, I will attract meaningful friendships with like-minded individuals who do the same.
        • I learned that sometimes the best therapy is to hop on a horse and go for a ride.
        • I learned to appreciate the phrase: "get back on the saddle again". Now that I have literally fallen off my horse, and had to get back on again, the phrase has a whole new meaning.
        • I learned that life really is an adventure: it can be as boring or as exciting as I allow it to be.
          • I learned that I can be wealthy and rich in ways that have absolutely nothing to do with money.
          • I learned that if I look for the bad in things, I will surely find it.  But if I seek out the good- I will not only find it, but I will be amazed and humbled by the abundance of it. 

          2 comments:

          1. I love you too Danielle! Thank you for being a remarkable friend, and kindred spirit. muah!

            ReplyDelete